Tuesday

Travel weary - Osaman

We have been traveling for the last couple of weeks - for a bit of business and a bit of pleasure; well as much pleasure as one can get bundled in layers of clothing and sightseeing in cold weather anyway.

Back home after a zillion bland and greasy meals, I was glad to get into the kitchen and whip up (what else but) some comforting dal and rice. Instead of my usual preparation I decided to try a new recipe.
My travel weary bones creaked and complained at the added work but like a brave soldier I pressed on. Oh alright, I admit it, updating my blog was the ulterior motive ;-)

So 'Osaman' it was - a watery Gujarati dal made of red or yellow lentils. It is similar to the Konkani 'saar' or 'rasam' of the South - dal that can be had as soup or as an accompaniment to rice. Best of both worlds in my opinion!

osamun

OSAMAN (Gujarati Dal)
(serves 3-4)
(adapted from this recipe)
1/4 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2-3 kokum (or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp)
1-2 tbsp jaggery
2 tbsp peanuts, roasted
salt to taste
For seasoning -
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 green chillies, slit
a pinch of asafetida
few curry leaves

Cook dal with 3 or more cups of water. When it is well done add ginger paste, turmeric, kokum/ tamarind, jaggery and peanuts. Season to taste then blend well with a whisk. Bring to a simmer on low heat.

Meanwhile heat ghee in a tadka ladle and add mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter add cumin seeds, asafetida, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and chillies.

Saute for a minute then pour over dal. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve hot.

* Verdict: For a simple soup I found the dal packed in quite a complex flavor - sweet, sour and nutty (the trademark of most Gujarati dishes I think). The husband said the jaggery would need getting used to, but overall was in favor of the mingled tastes. All in all, a refreshing change for us.

Tags:

25 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's a refreshing meal to home to...Looks delicious..

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a refreshing meal to home to...Looks delicious..

9:48 PM  
Blogger Anjali Koli said...

So youre back ...all indians anywhere are the same I guess..comfort food is after all dal and rice!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks delicious!!!:)

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup! nothing like good old comfort food to come home to. For us, it is always rasam after a few days away from home. This recipe is light and refreshing as well.

cheers!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely!!! This is the perfect osaman found in any gujju house :)

We also make the same with green beans (Moong)

8:42 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Looks mouthwatering!I agree when you are ,you get so tired of outside food!I made Theeyal as soon as I came back from vacation!:)
I love the pot too!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Nidhi said...

Dal & Rice is indeed a comfort food for we Indians. Good to have you back with Gujrati Dal...Tamarind paste & Jaggery, Its a very interesting recipe Ashwini! Beautiful picture too. BTW where do you buy all these beautiful dishes to plate your dishes in???

8:59 AM  
Blogger swapna susarla said...

hi ashwini

in telugu it is called pappu charu"rasam with lentils)..
looks tasty..

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Daal....I am a big daal fan...so really loved your recipe...thanks for sharing

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini, I don't know how I am missing these -- Shilpa recently made a Gujarati dal which I also just saw this evening. I am going to put my little bag of kokum to the test, as now I shall try yours too. Hope you had some good sights in the cold -- depending on the setting, I often find that is part of the charm :)

7:46 PM  
Blogger indosungod said...

Ashwini nothing like a cup of dal or rasam to come home to after a trip. Nice post and read.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Maheshwari - thanks

Anjali - yes I agree...comfort= dal and rice in most Indians' opinions

Haripriya, Saffron - thanks

Coffee - it is? Yay...since I had never tasted osaman before I wasn't sure how authentic the recipe was. So glad to know I picked a good one. Your moong version sounds good too.

Asha, Swapna - thanks

Nidhi - I am always shopping :-) I got this in an Asian market on our trip.

Dilip, Indo - thanks

Linda - you have a bag of kokum?? Your enthusiasm always amazes me :-)
Try this, I am sure you will like it. Re: the snowy sight seeing, I agree. All stark white and pure!!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash,

Finally comes a post from you! Hope you had lot of fun travelling :)

Osaman looks great.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Manjula said...

Peanuts, Jaggery & Kokum ..interesting combination.. I haven't tried anything Gujju yet.. Pictures looks very promisingly delicious

2:00 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

glad to have you back. was missing you(ur blog:))
gujarati dal seems to be in. shilpa also blogged abt it this week!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs. K said...

Never heard of this! Looks like a comfort food. :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Krithika said...

looks lovely !yep, I too crave for simple dal or rasam when I come back from a vacation

9:28 AM  
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

You are so right, nothing like a good hot bowl of refreshing dal. Osaman looks good and love the presentation as always.
-
Seema

5:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

That looks so full of warmth! Great recipe.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Osaman was just the lentil water and not the lentils. When Gujjus make their version of (oh God, know I can't remember the word- the Maharashtrian poli stuffed with gur and dal) they use the left over water from boiling the dal for Osaman. So it is the classic accompaniment to this sweet poli (shame on me for forgetting the name!)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Anon - didn't know that. I followed the recipe from the site. I think you are talking about puran poli and katachi amti. The amti is made from the stock in which the dal is cooked or so I think.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Hi,
I am glad to see my gujju dal on ur blog. U r very true that we Gujarati ppl love mingled tasted in dal/curry.
my mom used to make Osaman with Puranpoli combo.
Sonu:)))

9:40 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

hey, whr did u get this beautiful black bowl with handle(u had poured Osaman in it)which I can see here. I just love it.
Nice snap too...!
Sonu:)

9:43 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Sonu - Maharashtrians and Konkanis too share a love for combined tastes/ flavors with Gujratis. Osaman with puran poli sounds a lot like the 'katachi amti' that Maharashtrians serve with puran poli.
The black bowl was a gift from a friend.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page