Wednesday

Sweet stuff - Sweet potato kheer

How many times do you pick up sweet potatoes on your grocery trip? I for one can easily avoid this particular spud for months without even realizing it, yet here I am posting my second dish with the vegetable in less than four months.

Well it's because I just couldn't let JFI pass without blogging about my favoritest (one needs to create a new word for such a dish!) kheer. It is one of the few Konkani desserts that uses coconut milk rather than coconut.

The authentic version has both thick (first extract) and thin (second extract) milk but I couldn't resist the temptation to reduce a teensy bit of calories and used only thin milk. I also added some roasted vermicelli for a crunch. Whatever you do, just don't add too much jaggery; the kheer should retain the flavor of the sweet potato.

kheer7edited

RATALYACHI KHEER (Sweet Potato Pudding)
(serves 3-4)
3 medium size sweet potatoes
1/3 cup grated jaggery or to taste
5-6 cardamoms, peeled and powdered
1 1/2 cups thin coconut milk (I used canned)
1 tbsp vermicelli roasted in 1 tsp ghee (optional)
cashews/ pistachios for garnish (optional)

Peel the potatoes and slice them. Add just enough water to cover and boil until tender. Drain excess water if necessary. Mash potatoes coarsely.

Add jaggery and cardamom powder. Mix well. Next add coconut milk, stir and bring to a gentle boil on low heat. Add roasted vermicelli and simmer for a minute.

Spoon into individual bowls, garnish with nuts and serve chilled (or warm if you prefer).

* If you want a creamier kheer add upto 4 tablespoons of thick milk before removing from heat.

Entry for JFI/ Coconut

Tags: hashale

23 Comments:

Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Archana:
Sweet Potato Kheer is new to me. Beautiful picture as always Archana.
Thanx a bunch
Seema

5:35 PM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
Very new dish for JFI. Adding roasted vermicelli is good idea.
One question please.... Do I need to cook vermicelli???? or will be crunchy?? Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful dish.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Seema - umm you mean Ashwini?! Thanks

MT - thanks. Roasting the vermicelli will make it crunchy. However it is simmered in the milk for a few minutes so it gets cooked. Let me know if you try this

7:59 PM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

Your kheer looks delicious. You guys use coconut in so many different ways I am amazed

8:18 PM  
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

very new kheer for me..but very nice dish.Thanks for sharing ashwini

1:34 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Sweet potato as dessert? Sounds delicious and very nutritious! I love coconut milk as a base for kheer...I remember eating a wheat (whole grain, not flour) and coconut kheer. I think it was called "huggee" or something. Love your pictures, Ashwini!

11:03 AM  
Blogger swapna susarla said...

hai ashwini
the dish is looking good ..btw.picture..a very new recipe to me..thanks for sharing...a very happy new year to u..

11:21 AM  
Blogger sailu said...

Gorgeous picture of kheer, Ashwini and a unique recipe too.

May the new year usher in happiness and blessings to your and yours!

Happy New Year!!

Sailaja

12:51 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

Wow ! Another interesting recipe with sweet potato. Looks delicious!

Priya S&S

1:09 PM  
Blogger lakshmiammal said...

Hi Ashwini,
Adding roasted vermicilli is a great idea! Nice pic and recipe!Btw why don't you allow non bloggers like me to comment on your site. I created a google account jus for you!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Sandeepa, Meena, Swapna, Priya - thanks

Nupur - Coconut milk really elevates this kheer. I think I know which kheer you mean.. I have eaten it once or twice in Goa but still remember the taste.

Sailu - Happy new year to you too

Lakshmi - oh no! Sorry about that, looks like my comment settings decided to change all by themselves. Its fixed now and thanks

4:08 PM  
Blogger Neelu said...

O Wow I dint know one can get creative with sweet potato-nice recipe -Thanks a lot for remembering me :) Just buzy these days -I do often peep into ur blog but hardly find time to write anythign these days !

7:52 PM  
Blogger sra said...

Hi Ashwini! Nice picture, I wish we got colourful sweet potato where I live! I understand what you say about not using the vegetable - after years, I recently bought a few, used a couple and couldn't use the rest as they started sprouting plants!

2:26 AM  
Blogger indianadoc said...

Hi Ashwini! wish you a wonderful new year filled with all happiness and good luck!

6:37 AM  
Blogger indianadoc said...

Hi Ashwini! wish you a wonderful new year filled with all happiness and good luck!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Sri said...

Wow Ashwini beautiful picture...and great entry for the JFI.

4:06 PM  
Blogger indosungod said...

Ashwini, the Sweet Potato Kheer looks fantastic and the picture beautiful

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
Sweet potato kheer is a new recipe to me and the pictures are nice. wish you a happy and prosperous new year. Thanks.
Vijaya.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hi there .This recipe look awesome.Will give a try.thanks for sharing.HAppy new year.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Vini K said...

Wow,very unique indeed,kheer with sweet potatoes!Must try this one.Nice entry for JFI,Ashwini.Happy New Year!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

Yum. I normally get sweet pototo and just enjoy the baked version of it with brown sugar so much, never get around to cooking with it.Nice recipe!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger HAREKRISHNAJI said...

My mother and wife makes Ratalachi Kheer in different manner.

Peel the potatoes,cut it in a small pieces and cook in it milk, mash it,
add sugar,cardamom powder and cook it till sugr dissolves. To add richness she adds dryfruits like almond, cashews.pistachios,kismis, saffron etc

10:54 AM  
Blogger Divya said...

Hi Archanna,
Sweet potato kheer is new and it looks awesome.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page