Tuesday

Binge break - Kobichi Bhaji

If my posts have been extremely infrequent it's because we have been having a wonderful time catching up with family. Blogging inevitably took a back seat, though food didn't. It never can where my family is concerned ;-)

After decadent dinners involving several courses and a gazillion calories no doubt, we (finally) decided to give it a rest. I made a very simple cabbage dish - this preparation is a huge favorite in my home because well, it doesn't taste like cabbage! The trick is adding a small amount of chana dal - a nutty partner to the bland vegetable.

This clever tactic (devised by hassled mothers I am sure!) is quite often used with the less popular vegetables; for instance besan in methi zunka.

kobibhaji

KOBICHI BHAJI (Cabbage with split Bengal gram)
(serves 3-4)
1 medium size cabbage
1/4 cup chana dal
1 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
1-2 green chillies, slit
1/4 tsp turmeric
1-2 tbsp coconut, grated
4-5 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
salt to taste
oil

Wash chana dal in 2-3 changes of water. Add enough water to cover and soak for an hour. Meanwhile wash and shred cabbage. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, chillies, asafoetida and turmeric.

Add drained chana dal and saute briefly. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover and let dal cook. When it is half done add shredded cabbage. Season with salt. Cover and cook the cabbage in its moisture.

When dal is cooked (neither the dal nor the cabbage should be mushy) sprinkle grated coconut and chopped cilantro on top. Serve hot with rotis.

* Variation: substitute chana dal with green peas or use bottle gourd instead of cabbage

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Bong Mom said...

Hi Ashwini
Your cabbage looks so crispy and delicious. Happy Holidays to you and your family
Had a ques. about the JFI
Can I submit a entry which I have already blogged about ? Please let me know
Thanks
sandeepa

4:53 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Sandeepa. Happy Holidays to you and your family too.
Actually the idea of JFI is to post new entries using the selected ingredient. If you are hard pressed for time though I can always bend the rules ;-)

5:21 PM  
Blogger lakshmiammal said...

Hi Ashwini,
Nice photo and recipe.We do the same way but in a watery consistency and call it kootu in tamil. Great combo for sure!

6:19 PM  
Blogger sra said...

Nice pic, Ashwini, looks neat and simple, like the recipe itself. But tell me, won't peas and chana dal be too heavy?

12:06 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Lakshmi - thanks

Sra - ?? The chana dal is substituted with peas in the variation of this dish

1:13 AM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
In My home we use channadal or moongdal for this bhaji.
Thanks for sharing

4:37 AM  
Blogger Meenal Mehta said...

Hey Ashwini,

a very happy holiday season to your an your family

6:59 AM  
Blogger Anupama said...

Ash , I make this kobichi bhaji quite often. Sometimes I replace the chana dal with moong dal and it comes out equally delicious

8:01 AM  
Blogger Nidhi said...

The picture is so beautiful and I love cabbage. Really liked your addition of dal in it and its still so crispy after cooking...thats amazing.

Thanks for sharing...

Happy New Year 2007!

Love, Nidhi.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Indian Food Rocks said...

I'll bet you're had a great time! My sister and her family got here late last night and we were feasting at midnight! And it's going to continue till they leave!

And, what's this about not liking cabbage or tasting like cabbage?! I think most of the problems arise when cabbage is (over)cooked into a gob of stuff that smells like bad fish! If cabbage is not boiled, it's really very delicious. I have a nephew who would call it kobyachi bhaji - so when I cook cabbage, it's still kobyachi bhaji. Your kobyachi bhaji looks so delicious that I think I am going to ask my sis to make me some.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Ashwini:
Beautiful picture buddy!!! cabbage looks gorgeous and the recipe looks easy.
Thanx a bunch
Seema

2:09 PM  
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

Ashwini:
one more thing i tried out your Mushti Pole last week and it just came out wonderful.Thanx a bunch for the recipe. I love all your recipes and pictures and have added your link in my blog so I dont miss out any of them.
Cheers
Seema

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

MT, Anupama - I am going to try it with moong dal next time...sounds equally delicious

Meenal, Nidhi - Happy Holidays to you too

Manisha - isnt it fun to celebrate with family? Hope you have a wonderful time feasting. Do post about some of the dishes.
I agree, overcooked cabbage is such a no-no. I bought this one at the Asian market and though it wasnt savoy it was still very crisp and delicious tasting.

Seema - I am so glad you liked mushti pole. Thanks for adding me to your blog roll

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

Ashwini
Thanks it's ok. Please don't bend the rules, only I was not very sure of it. I will try to come up with something :)
sandeepa

8:17 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

Hi Ashwini,Funny, but I had made the methi zunka with cabbage last week(i didn't have methi). Though I am sure that methi would be better we had really liked the taste with chappathis.And now i wish i had seen this recipe instead.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, your photographs as usual excellent!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice one.I am making it today.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
The kobi chi bhaaji looks gr8...The pic is very nice...I prepare it in the same way...But with a small variation. I add little amount of chopped tomatoes as well...
Regards,
Sunita

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,

I add Garam Masala when I cook in kobi. But somehow I always felt that this bhaji , served in Rajasthan and Gujarat , doesnt have any Masala and still tasted great. Next time I will try using chillis only. Though I think Kobi is so bland Masala might be needed.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

That's exactly the recipe I was looking for; thanks

7:20 PM  
Blogger Meghana. said...

I loved how this bhaaji turned out. I have also sent u an email, pl reply. Thanks.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page