Saturday

D is for Drumstick Dal

After her superb A-Z series of Marathi cuisine, Nupur at One Hot Stove is now compiling an A-Z of Indian vegetable dishes. She has invited all bloggers to participate and graciously made it flexible by leaving the choice of vegetable (and language!) to us. Rather than wait for an 'M' (for 'muskasang' in Konkani) or an even later 'S', I am sneaking in this Drumstick Dal for the on going letter D ;-)

Let me hasten to add the staid name doesn't do the dish justice. It's not just drumsticks and dal; though of course the story does revolve around the two. There is also a fiery coconut masala in the background that asserts itself when you least expect it, and a raw mango that adds a hint of mystery. The plot thickens with the blink and miss presence of an onion. What will happen next? Will you bite into a juicy drumstick? Or chance upon a tangy mango cube? Only time will tell...

dal

SHEVGACHYA SHENGACHI AMTI (Drumstick Dal)
(serves 2-3)
1 cup split red gram(tur dal)
1/2 onion, sliced
3 green chillies, slit
1/2 raw mango, peeled and cubed (or 2-3 kokum)
5-6 drumsticks, cut into 2" pieces*
salt to taste
For masala -
2-3 peppercorns
1/2 onion, sliced
5 tbsp grated coconut
For tadka -
oil
mustard seeds
asafetida
curry leaves

Wash dal in 2-3 changes of water. Combine with onion and green chillies. Cook in 1 1/2 cups of water until well done.

Grind coconut, peppercorns and onion into a fine paste adding a little water. Set aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds; when they splutter add asafetida and curry leaves. Next add drumsticks and mango cubes. Stir well and add cooked dal. Adjust consistency with water and season to taste.

Bring to a boil then add coconut masala. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and serve hot.
* I used frozen drumsticks available in Indian grocery stores

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

I thought I am too late for the entry by now!;D
Looks good,we call it Nuggekai too,remember!I love them but don't get here and I dread the canned ones.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Delicious! Thanks for participating!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ashwini, drumsticks are my absolute *favorite*!! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous dish. With the coconut and mango I bet it's really something special indeed :)

PS hope it's ok to link this in my little drumstick directory!

7:10 PM  
Blogger HAREKRISHNAJI said...

SHEVGACHYA SHENGACHI AMTI ANI BHAT,WHAT ELSE ONE DOES REQUIRE ?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Anjali Koli said...

Ashwini thats my fave with raw mango. Have to wait till summer (: for it.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Asha - I am late but I really wanted to send an entry!! Look for frozen drumsticks in Indian grocery stores.

Nupur - thanks for including me

Linda - you have a drumstick directory? Cute! Sure go ahead

HKji - one (or rather I) needs papad and pickle ;-D

Anjali - summer is just around the corner!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Seema Bhat said...

wow Ashwini, Drumsticks is one of our all time fav's. Just love the flavor of it with dal.
Thanx
Seema

10:52 AM  
Blogger Bong Mom said...

Ha ha...well written and a very new dal preparation for me
Is this a marathi dish ?

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A dead gorgeous picture too!

Did you know that even drumsticks can be bitter? It happened to me couple of weeks back. But the bitterness had not permeated the sambar, so we just picked them out and had our sambar without the succulent drumstick. :(

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Seema

Sandeepa - Konkani/ Marathi dish I suppose ;-)

Anita - I have had drumsticks that turned out to be rather fibrous but never bitter. I cant imagine a sambar without drumsticks!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Aditi said...

Loved the way you wrote the "plot" part...as savory a piece of writing as the dish :)

-Aditi

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi A! I am an avid follower of your blog. I've tried several of your recipes and they have all turned out great (egg curry being the latest). I have a question - I recently got a fresh coconut from someone and I know I won't be able to use all of it in a week. Can I freeze a portion of the coconut? Or do you have a suggestion on how best to store fresh coconut? Thanks - Preeti

8:32 AM  
Blogger HAREKRISHNAJI said...

fully agreed on papad and pickle,
I would prefer Limbache gode Lonche
(Lime Sweet Pickle)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Aditi - thanks

Preeti - glad you liked the recipes. Sure you can freeze the coconut. Grate it then store it in an air tight bag in the freezer. Better still grind the coconut with ginger, garlic, cilantro, mint and green chillies and store the paste in the freezer. You can then use it in a curry or pulao (http://food-forthought.blogspot.com/2006/08/bridging-divide-shrimp-pulao.html) as your prefer. Hope this helps.

HKji - I agree!!

12:00 PM  
Blogger swapna susarla said...

mmmm!!interesting recipe with drum sticks..

12:50 PM  
Blogger Nidhi said...

Beautiful and simply delicious, Ashwini! Hats off to your presentation skills. I don't think that a professional can do any better job on food pics.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This dish sounds so delicious with coconut and mango, it would definitely taste great...
-Sushma

10:33 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Swapna, Sushma - thanks

Nidhi - No way, I am nowhere near pro standards, but thanks for the compliment. Made my day!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Anupama said...

Gorgeous Dal Ash and gorgeous write-up too. Reading the recipe i could almost taste the dal the spices and the raw mangoes. Another thing i liked is the absence of turmeric which gave the dal a completely different look than our daily dal preparations. Simply awesome

4:24 AM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
Beautiful Presentation!!!!!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

this is similar to a drumstick curry we make but we add jackfruit seeds and shrimp..still it sounds yum!i always buy frozen drumsticks but its a hit and miss.. sometimes they are very bitter.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Malar Gandhi said...

Hello Ashwini,
Yummy recipe!I miss drumstick so much! Will visit your blog again.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Malar

3:01 AM  
Blogger Priyanka said...

Thats a great looking curry and yummy to boot. Thanks for sharing.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page