Wednesday

Scallion Zunka for JFI

Yes, the plan was to make a 'dum' dish with the casserole but I realized my pantry was missing a couple of ingredients. Onions on the other hand? Never run out of them.

Though authentic zunka is made with onions, I used scallions (spring onions, green onions... so many names for such a dainty looking thing!) in this recipe. The garlic/ curry leaves tadka is not common either but this is how a popular restaurant near my home makes it.

onions

PATICHA ZUNKA (Scallion Zunka)
(serves 2-3)
1 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)*
2 bunches of scallions, finely chopped
a pinch of turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
sugar and salt to taste
oil
Seasoning -
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 garlic cloves, mashed
a sprig of curry leaves
1-2 green chillies, slit
Garnishing -
lemon juice
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped

Wash then soak dal in 2 cups of water for about 2-3 hours. Grind into a coarse paste with salt and a few tablespoons of water. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, garlic, curry leaves and chillies. Next add chopped scallions and saute for a minute.

Toss in the spices, a pinch of sugar and a little salt. Add dal paste. Turn heat to low, cover pan with a lid and let the dal cook (sprinkle a few drop of water if you find it's sticking to the pan). When it is dry and crumbly, squeeze a little lemon juice on top, garnish with cilantro and serve. (Zunka gets drier the longer it sits. So plan on serving immediately).

zunka2

* Inspired by the 'parippu uslis' around blogosphere, I opted for chana dal instead of besan in this zunka. The resulting crumbly texture is quite delicious.
* For JFI - Onions hosted by Radhi

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

What a treat! Zunka was on the fence for tonight's dinner. Stumbling on this post gave me the inspiration I was looking for. Thanks!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mythreyee said...

wow! that's an amazing dish. Thanks for sharing.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Suganya said...

Chana dal instead of besan, and fully made with spring onions. That sounds delicious, Aswini. I will definitely try this one. I use spring onions just for garnishing purposes only.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Sia said...

i liked the idea of using channa dal in place of besan. and i am looking forward to ur 'dum' dish too ashwini:)

3:36 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Love Junka, I made the same way with Chana dal at Aroma, tastes so good!:))

6:41 AM  
Blogger Pooja said...

Wow ! thats really creative Ashwini !
A nice entry for JFI indeed.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

My MIL would make something similar but with besan, and oodles of oil, naturally! You clever girl, you don't tell us how much oil you used.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Pooja - Welcome to FFT. Let me know how dinner turns out. That's the best thing about zunka in my opinion - its the perfect last minute dish.

Mythreyee - Thanks

Suganya - I love parippu usli with beans and thought it would be great to replicate that in zunka. Spring onions give a nice pungency to zunka; very different from regular onions.

Sia - I know, I know... the dum dish is on its way I promise!

Asha - me too. I only wish I could make bhakri like you do :-)

Pooja - thanks

Anita - I used about 2 tbsps actually. I cant stress the importance of using non stick for this dish. Once I made zunka in a regular kadai and had to spend half an hour scraping it from the bottom of the pan. Non stick is really the only way to go.

11:31 AM  
Blogger vimmi said...

I make it with chana dal flour or besan. But this is a new twist. I will surely try it.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This is the first time I have heard about this dish and I am intrigued.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Radhika said...

Hey Ashwini i'm soorry i did not receive ur entry will update very soon.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Hrishali said...

hey ashwini,
Although i'm a maharashtrian, i was introduced to Zunka by my MIL (also of maharashtrian descent). Anyway so its something i treat myself to only when she visits. I stumbled upon your blog from a comment you posted on the Mumbai mirror some time ago-- lets not get into that ;-).
Back to the point, this recipe sounds absolutely delicious and i cant wait to tell her about it so that we can try it. I think though she maintains that the only way to make it with the besan so may have to skip the dal step and stick to regular besan. Will let you know how it goes!
Hrishali

2:57 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Hi Hrishali, let me know how your MIL likes it. PS - you must try to convince her to use chana dal once...it tastes great. Good luck!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Hrishali said...

Hi ashwini
So no go on the chana dal== MIL will not concede. I will have to try it when she isnt there! :) but the scallion idea took very well and it was sooooooo yummy! Thanks!
You know i lost my way in the blog world and couldnt find you! stumbled upon you now and am overjoyed!
Wanna make those dill pancakes!
Hrishali

11:04 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Uh oh - old habits die hard I suppose :) But the scallions are a start! Glad you enjoyed.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great recipe I'd love to try! :) Many thanks for sharing your innovative and great cooking ideas!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

You have shared a healthy recipe.I think we can use different dal instead of chana dal.WHenever i will make scallion zunka i will garnish it with cashew nuts.

coupons for Olive Garden

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Jianna Gonzalez said...

Keep blogging.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page