Friday

Treasure Hunt - Green Tuvar

One look at the authentic 'vadu mangu' pickle, Punjabi vadis and dhanraj chillies in the local Indian store and my in laws were floored! Shopping for groceries became more of a treasure hunt. They took their time strolling through the store and searching every nook for an edible surprise.

I'd never have noticed the packet of green pigeon peas (tuvar lilva) had my mother in law not zeroed on it. Green tuvar is a seasonal (monsoon) produce and I haven't had the opportunity to eat it in years. Sometimes it takes a different perspective to show us things in a new light.

Just like this month's JFI host, Linda whose curiosity and enthusiasm about Indian cuisine makes me look at it with renewed appreciation.

upkari2

GREEN TUR UPKARI (Pigeon Peas Stir fry)
1 cup green pigeon peas
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafetida
1-2 green chillies, slit
1 red chilli, halved
oil
salt to taste
grated coconut and finely chopped cilantro

Defrost peas in the microwave (or set to thaw an hour before).

Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add mustard seeds, chillies and asafetida. Add the peas and just enough water to cook them. Season to taste. Top with grated coconut and cilantro and serve.

* Any gourd (snake, ridge etc) or potato works well in combination with the peas. They make a good addition to khichdi and pulao too.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I've done so many things with pigeon peas and will definitely add this to my list of ways to prepare it.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Indian Food Rocks said...

Why is it called fresh when it is frozen? Do they mean tender or perhaps young?

12:07 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Ashwini, I am thoroughly in sympathy with your in laws -- every trip I make to the indian grocery is a treasure hunt ;)

Thanks so much for this great contribution to JFI Toor! Besides quick and easy to recommend it, I am hungry just looking at the gorgeous pic -- not so unusual at Food For Thought :)

12:20 AM  
Blogger Srivalli said...

That looks lovely!...great picture..

2:11 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Cynthia - do share your recipes with us... would love to try them.

Manisha - trust you to pick on that! The packet said tuvar lilva and green pigeon peas. So fresh isnt the right word.

Linda - I am so glad I made it. I didnt want to miss an event hosted by you.

Thanks Sri.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Indian Food Rocks said...

No! No! Not picking - just flummoxed as to why young tur is being called fresh tur on the food blogs when it is frozen. Fresh is not frozen in my mind - esp after researching on the benefits of frozen veggies vs the so-called fresh veggies in the grocery stores - so I wondered if *I* was missing something.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Meera said...

Wow! Though i have eaten many upkaris, have never tried green toor upkari! I only ate it in Turi Ambat! A must try! Thanks for sharing.
Also, thanks for your suggestion and guidance about food blog desam. I really appreciate it, Ashwini! Thanks.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Manisha - yikes... I meant trust you to pick *up* on that anomaly. As in astute not picky. Green pigeon peas or tender tur is a more apt word.

Meera - thanks. And no problem... have fun blogging.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Sagari said...

thats a lovely dishhhh

9:00 PM  
Blogger amna said...

came here from Linda's. Absolutely loved the pic.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello there!Nice blog and new way of cooking for me !I never cooked anything from your cuisine /Indian/! I will try one of yours!!See you and Regards from Croatia

11:58 AM  
Blogger Bharathy said...

Yes I have a kg of them(with the skin)getting cooked in my cooker right now(can you hear the whistles):)???
And try this recipe right now..I would have send this over to JFI, but Linda is done with the round up already..I got these fresh form the farms down the western ghats of Tamil Nadu :)

By the way, Did I tell you ever, That you are one of my inspirations?I love everything here...the pics, the way you write,the presentation and the recipe selection :)..
Next I would try is garam masala..:)
Enjoy your vacation..:)

5:25 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Hi Ashwini,
I have noticed the fresh frozen toor. However I never really knew what to do with it until I saw your recipe on JFI at Linda's. Thx,

Apu

12:38 AM  
Blogger Bharathy said...

Yes done and blogged...but my recipe is different..:)
Do visit when time permits :)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Welcome Aaidjs. I am not too familiar with your cuisine either so I will hop over to your blog soon.

Bharathy - such kind words! thank you. Loved the photos your daughter took of the pods. Will try your recipe soon.

Annarasa - let me know how you like it.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi your site is usefully I get many reipe from you

Please visit my site if you want to know about thaifood http://www.allthaifood.com/

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page