Tuesday

Mix and match - Sprouts Pilaf

It is Tuesday again, and time for Sweetnicks' ARF/ 5-a-day (antioxidant rich food) event. Since I played truant for the past few weeks I decided to make amends. That settled, I looked inside the fridge and saw my crisper was not exactly brimming with vegetables. Hmmm. I did what I always do in such inspirationally-challenged situations - borrowed a recipe from my mother! Sprouts pulao, my mother's way of cleaning the fridge of leftover vegetables before the next grocery trip.

Since she can always rely on a basic stock of beans, sprouts are the only constant ingredient whenever she makes this dish. After that it is just 'mix and match', as she puts it. And that's the name we bestowed on the pulao over time - the mix and match pulao!

Count the number of ways in which it is healthy - needs very little oil, uses a lot of vegetables and a cupful of sprouts - a nutritious, protein packed one pot meal. I think I did both Sweetnicks and myself proud today!

sprouts12

SPROUTS PULAO
(serves 2)
1 cup rice
1 cup moong (green gram) sprouts
1 tsp cumin seeds
1-2 bayleaves
2 cloves
1 medium size onion chopped
1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 cup of diced vegetables (I used green bell pepper, eggplant and mushrooms)
4-5 cashews, broken
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste

Grind to a fine paste with a little water:
1 1/2 cups of coriander leaves, picked
2-3 tbsp grated coconut
1 green chilli (or more if you prefer)
1/2 tsp garam masala

Wash the rice in two to three changes of water and set aside. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add cumin seeds and when they begin to sizzle, add bayleaves and cloves. Next add onion and fry till it is coated with oil. When it takes on a pink tinge, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a few minutes. Add the moong sprouts, vegetables, cashews and turmeric and mix well (about 3-4 minutes). Add rice and mix again. Add 2 1/2 -3 cups of water, cover and cook on moderate heat till rice is almost done (there should be some water visible). At this point, add the ground paste, mix and cook till all water is absorbed and rice is fluffy.
Serve hot with raita.

pulav.

Notes -
You can use a teaspoon of pulao/ biryani masala instead of garam masala for the paste
See Nupur's primer on sprouting beans if you are not familiar with the process. You might also get packaged moong sprouts at some Indian groceries

Tags:

16 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

I too make sprouts Pulao and it's very healthy and yummy! :)

Yours looks very appetising!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Priya said...

wow .. the sprouts pilaf looks yummy !! thanx for sharinf the recipe. I love the idea of adding vegetable to it along with the sprouts. I always wonder what to do with zucchini, now u have a solution to it.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

What a coincidence...this is exactly what I had planned to make for dinner tonight. Your version looks delicious!

10:27 AM  
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Cool. I remember mom made this sometimes :). But havent had it in a long long time.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Never had this before - looks great!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Kay, Sweetnicks & Nupur - thanks
Priya - Its a great way to get rid of veges in one go. Zucchini esp goes well because it does not overpower the sprouts

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loove moong dal pulao! My version is very simple, and I'm going to try your variation soon. I have some moong dal doing their thing right now i.e sprouting!!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

This stuff could be on the FOOD TV channel! ~ jb///

7:57 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

Love sprouts pulao and do make it pretty often as my toddler loves it and its healthy too..:)

9:58 PM  
Blogger reshma said...

Moms are so smart, aren't they?!cleaning up the crisper and putting together one great meal!am saving this recipe :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

SH - let me know if you try it
LZ - Thanks!
Sailu - oh yes its really protein packed. and the veges kind of blend into the pulao so one doesnt realise they are there :-)
Reshma - yep you said it! let me know if you try it

10:31 AM  
Blogger BDSN said...

I love the goodness in sprouts.I love dhal made out of it and makes for a good crunchy salad too..Well your recipe is surely simple and sounds delicious..will giv a try when i make these sprouts..

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its new to me..but looks great and healthy..My kid will definitely love it..:)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Ashwini:

That sounds so good. I am always looking for creative ways to eat sprouts.

Thank you for your recipe :).

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This is my favorite dish..

9:09 PM  
Blogger Sumi said...

Ashwini,

I did not know that we can make pulao with sprouts.we love sprouts, but I always make sundal with it. I was bored with the usual mixed rices(lemon, curd, tamarind), but I think this would make a great receipe for lunch on the weekdays.Thanks , will definitely try it.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page