Tuesday

Berry berry good - Breakfast Smoothie

So there I was standing in the kitchen on Monday night thinking about ARF friendly food for Tuesday when inspiration struck. If I am going to try to eat antioxidant-rich foods, I might as well get them in first thing in the morning.

Breakfasts usually involve pouring some cereal into a bowl. So it made a good change to have something that was made fresh, in my own kitchen, without feeling rushed. This refreshing smoothie is packed with three types of berries and makes a filling breakfast along with the usual staple of cereal or toast. To top it all, all two ingredients - blueberries and strawberries are among the top antioxidant-rich foods.
Of course the smoothie can be made with almost any fruit lying in your fridge but the berries lend a sweet-tart taste that positively kickstarts your day!

smoothie1

BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
(serves 2)
1 cup strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup cold low fat milk (or your choice of milk/ yogurt)
1-2 mint leaves

Blend all ingredients till smooth. Garnish with mint and serve immediately.
See the round-up here for other healthy ideas.

Tags:

12 Comments:

Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

hmmmm.... looks yummy... Minus the honey & I can share this with my lil daughter too... I'm sure she's gonna like this...

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sury said...

Ashwini, I have tagged you for a common cold remedy meme. Please see this link:

http://limadelhi.blogspot.com/2006/01/keeping-embers-burning.html

Do play!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got it - the smoothie looks great! I'll definitely be making it this weekend. Thanks!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Tina & Sweetnicks. Sury - I will try!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Shilpa said...

Hello Ashwini,
your blog is very beautiful. I am gonna try some of the recipes soon. pls visit my blog.
shilpa

2:13 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

That's a great healthy entry,Ashwini.

10:23 PM  
Blogger reshma said...

a great way to drink your berries :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Parna, Sailu and Reshma - thanks! It is indeed very healthy. I like this ARF event bcoz until I started participating, I wasnt even thinking about whether I was eating any ARF rich foods!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

I make this drink too! :) I have this three berry blend I bought from Sams, the other day. The only difference is I don't use mint in this drink. Your recipe makes me want to try it.

Infact, it's been days since I made this drink. thanks for reminding me. Off to make a nice cold smoothie for myself.

10:10 AM  
Blogger archana said...

Aswini,
I was just going through your archives and i must say, YOU HAVE AN AWESOME STYLE OF WRITING. Your photos are very good,recipes are excellent, YOU ARE GOOD !!!!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Archana for your kind words!

11:21 AM  
Blogger pratYk said...

Hi,
for all thse lactose intolerant people and other wise ..how does this sound ?

1 serving Orange juice
1/2 - 1 cup of diced strawberries, blueberries, cranberries (pineapple if you like)
sugar to taste

blend them together with some crushed ice .. and a delicious berry smoothie .. for me, it acts as a meal replacement at times ..

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page