Saturday

Ring out the old - Thai Noodles

The end of the year is upon us (already??). Since the better half was traveling on the 31st, we decided to have a quite dinner at home instead of going out. At least we heard each other speak this way :-)
I decided on an Asian menu, veering more towards Thai. Both my husband and I love Thai food. Perhaps its the use of coconut milk (a primary ingredient in our coastal cuisine), or perhaps its our love for good food in general!

I came across this recipe on Epicurious - a recipe source I keep going back to, despite the shelf crammed with cookbooks. I used chunky peanut butter because that's what I had. I think it proved beneficial in the end because it gave the noodles a wonderful texture.

I suppose the noodles can be made with any veges but try not to omit the snow peas, they really add flavor. All in all paired with Californian zinfandel and Haagen Daz coconut ice cream it was a wonderful new year's eve.

noodles

THAI NOODLES
(serves 2-3)
1 tsp oil
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp soy sauce (preferably low-sodium)
4 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup chicken/ vegetable broth
8 oz whole wheat spaghetti
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 cup snow peas
3-4 baby carrots, julienned
salt to taste
oil

Cook spaghetti as per directions. When almost done add bell pepper, carrots and snow peas. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Drain.

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add ginger and garlic; stir. Add soy sauce, vinegar, chili flakes, peanut butter, broth, and salt. Cook until peanut butter dissolves.

Simmer over low heat for 7 minutes until thick. Add pasta and vegetables and toss in peanut sauce until everything is well coated.

* Be careful when seasoning the noodles - both soy sauce and broth already contain salt

Have a happy, healthy and tasty New Year!!!
Tags:

1 Comments:

Blogger Renuka said...

Wow, first time on your blog. Love the recipes. I will definately be trying this one too. I had made the Pad Thai and this seems like another delicious dish.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page