Monday

The Perfect Brownies

With a name like that, I certainly couldn't resist making them; but since the unspoken agreement in our home is that my husband and I can't be left alone with chocolate, I restrained until we had company :-)

The brownies courtesy Nic of Baking Sheet finally got made over the weekend. And the verdict? Yep, perfect to the last crumb. All because of the neat trick of popping the brownies into the freezer straight out of the oven. Since the baking process is arrested in this manner, the insides of the brownies retain their gooeyness (new word!) while the tops become crusty. Add to that a rich, chocolate-y taste and you have got yourself the perfect brownie indeed (sorry, can't say that enough!).

brown3edited

To serve I made 'sizzling brownies'; an Indian interpretation of brownie a la mode. This was a very popular dessert in Bombay a couple of years back and probably still is. The brownies were served on sizzling hot tandoor plates (hence the name) with vanilla ice cream on the side and a drizzle of hot chocolate. I made do by microwaving the brownies instead.
Or you can always go with the classic, never fail pairing of milk.

CLASSIC BROWNIES
(makes 16)
8 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 400°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with foil. (I used the aluminium foil pan available in the market).

Chop chocolate coarsely. Melt butter and chocolate in the microwave using low settings (or in a double boiler). Stir until smooth.

Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until well combined.

Add walnuts and mix again. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 22 - 24 minutes.

When brownies are done remove from oven and place immediately in the freezer. If you don't have space in your freezer, make an ice bath instead.

Allow to cool completely (ie. resist temptation to eat!!) then remove pan and cut brownies into squares. (I dusted mine with a little cocoa).

brown2a

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashwini, the brownies look so good... I can have it with coffee... right now.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Manjusha Nimbalkar said...

Ashwini,

Brownies look so tempting....nice one..

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
Thats a nice trick, I never knew it. Baking and freeezing......
Brownies looks very temping. thanks for the recipe.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Krithika said...

Baking and freezing...hmmm. that's a new trick !! Looks delicious !

7:48 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

awww ashwini, you're killing me with those luscious brownies...I want some RIGHT NOW!!!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini -- two great recipes I must try here -- these brownies and the veg. curry looks wonderful too. Since my son went away I have been trying to learn to bake. Brownies are sure to be a hit... thanks :)

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I have to make these soon. Really tempting pictures!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Ashwini...U said it they are perfect...feel like having one..infact..lots.and yes its a fashion here in Nasik too to serve sizzling brownies with vanilla icecream!thanks for sharing the recipe.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
Your brownies look yummy!!!Thank u so much for sweet treat.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Ashwini,
The brownies look soooooo nice.baking and freezing is a good idea.. thanks for the lovely recipe.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Mandira - go ahead, they are all yours!!
Manjusha, Madhu, Nabeela - thanks
Krithika - yes, the freezing trick really works
Linda - let me know if you try either
Rp, MT, Prema - thanks
Madhuli - good to know, thats too good a good dessert to get rid of!!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..they look sooooo nice.. felt like eating them right away :).

10:35 AM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

Sinful...yes, that's the only word that I can think of. And serve them warm? Oh, HEAVEN!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
Where do u stay lady? I'm coming over for these! I had a 'sizzler brownie' before I left India! My friends say they will always remember they way my eyes 'lit up and sparkled like a 3 year old' when it was placed in front of me! oooooooohhhhh! Want moreeeee!!!

12:29 PM  
Blogger FH said...

Brownies are delicious as always, how about some blondies now!! :D :D

Yummy !! Thanks!!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had always wondered how a few people managed to make brownies that were 'gooey'....whether it is sizzling brownies...brownies and milk...or just brownies warm out of the microwave...they are always 'perfect' :-)

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful brownies. wish i could grab some right away.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Ashwini... I was just logging for this recipe-- trust me--- got some recipes from website-- still waiting from our bloggers... and there you are-- must try!!!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks Tempting! here's a classic recipe ...wish i had seen this before I tried out my brownies which were a disaster...:)

3:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Super good! You are right about the sizzling brownies- brownie placed on the sizzler plate and smothered with chocolate sauce, nuts and a vanilla icecream...and thanks to you Im craving for that one at 3.30 pm in the afternoon--and im not forgiving you for that
:P

5:13 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Baking and freezing -- must try that!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Chandrika said...

Ashwini, your brownies have tempted me into making them!! :-))

6:40 PM  
Blogger PizzaDude said...

WOW!! They look absolutely delicious. Total drool material.. Must try them out sometime soon...

8:50 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Shilpa, Shaheen - go on and try some :-)
Vaishali - yes sinful is an apt description, they are really rich
Manasi - ditto with me :-) All that smoke and sizzle and then that brownie dunked in ice cream...what an experience!!
Asha - considering how sinful these brownies were the blondies will have to wait!
Priya - The freezing part really helps in keeping the brownies moist..I was surprised myself that a tiny little thing like this could make such a huge difference
Priya, Lydia, Chandrika, Pizzadude - let me know if you try these out
Lera - nothing made with chocolate and sugar can be a disaster in my opinion!
Nandita - and I am not forgiving you for being able to actually satisfy your craving for the sizzling brownie, unlike me!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Rooma said...

WOW!!!!! there seems to be a waterfall inside my mouth!!!!!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

My mouth is watering, wanting those brownies!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Rooma said...

Hi Ashwini, I made these brownies this weekend, they were absolutely awesome!!!!! will post it soon. Thanks a ton!!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Cyndi - thanks
Rooma - so glad you liked them..will check your blog for the post

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow they look so sexy !! I'll try the recipe ;) I've been looking for the perfect brownies... so i must give this recipe a try !

4:57 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Hi Ashwini,
Nice recipe for brownies. Brownies with Vanilla ice-cream...sounds gr8 combo. I have found a many diff recipes for brownies but ur one is just caught my eyes and can't wait to try it soon. will let u knw abt my outcome. Thanks Ash.
Sonu:)

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Ab Circle Pro said...

That picture made me so hungry. Why wouldn't brownies be a healthy choice ?:( .. will try out the recipe .. thanks!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page